The benefits of Working Out in Winter!
It can be really hard to stay motivated about exercise in winter, but it is important to keep active for your physical and mental wellbeing.
There is no denying that when it is cold outside, along with the colds and flu plus the winter blues, it can be challenging to get moving. But exercise can increase your energy, strengthen your immune system and help with depression. When you can, exercise outside and benefit from the fresh air and exposure to natural light, nature’s way in helping fight depression.
Here are 5 reasons why you should stay active in winter:
1. Stay in Shape: Keep burning calories in winter and easily slip into your summer wardrobe.
2. Improve Your Immune System: It has been shown that regular exercise can strengthen your immune system. When you exercise and get your blood pumping, immune cells circulate through your body quicker to find and destroy infections.
3. Fight the Winter Blues: W e can’t change the weather but we can change our mood. Exercise releases feel good chemical and releases stress. Physical activity has also been shown to help with depression.
4. Winter Sunshine Strength: When you can, exercise outside. Benefit from the fresh air and when the sun is shining get your dose of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps make strong bones and keeps your immune system strong to fight way the colds and flus while boosting positivity. The easiest way to get vitamin D is from exposure of bare skin to the sunlight.
5. Keep Warm: Get moving and warm up naturally while burning calories. A workout has a soothing, calming effect on your entire body.
See our Winter Exercise blog by our PT Stacey Rogers for some motivation to get moving on the cold and wet days.