Our Almond Cupcakes are the perfect accompaniment to a decadent afternoon tea. Sugar free and gluten free, decorate to suit any occasion.
- 125g almond meal
- 75g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 1 X-large egg
- 2 X-large eggs, separated
- 50ml lemon juice, (approx. 1 ½ lemons)
- 40g arrowroot
- 60g butter, melted
- Preheat oven 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced. Line 16 x 30ml mini muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- Combine almond meal and xylitol in a bowl.
- Use an electric beater to beat egg, egg yolks and lemon juice in a large bowl until foamy.
- Thoroughly clean your electric beaters, then whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Use a large metal spoon to gently fold in half the arrowroot.
- Fold egg white mixture into lemon juice mixture.
- Add almond meal mixture, remaining arrowroot and butter and gently fold all together. Spoon into cupcake papers to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 150˚C/130˚C fan-forced and bake for a further 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- When they have completely cooled, spread or pipe frosting onto each cupcake and decorate as desired.
- 125g cream cheese, softened
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 45g Perfect Sweet xylitol, to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat the cream cheese, butter and xylitol until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla extract and spread or pipe onto the cupcakes.