This delicious shortbread can be made with red rice flour, which I think has a more interesting flavour and colour. Chinese chefs use red rice flour in their sweet dishes. It is available in health food stores and Chinese grocery stores. Make this recipe with your children using star shape cutters. A batch can make 2 lovely gifts wrapped in cellophane on a disposable plate for the school teachers or friends and relations for any festive occasion.
- 150 g rice flour
- 50 g ground rice
- 50 g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 150 g butter
- Mix rice flour, ground rice and Perfect Sweet® xylitol in a mixing bowl.
- Add butter; knead into dry ingredients until mixture is combined into a smooth, stiff dough.
- Dust worktop with a little ground rice and roll out dough into an oblong 1 cm thick. Cut into 8 cm x 2 cm fingers or use Christmas cutter shapes.
- Place dough on a lined baking tray, prick well, and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes at 180℃.
- Makes 20 shortbread fingers.
Use red rice flour instead of rice flour
Copyright © 2014 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd