Traditionally, Frangipani Cake was made with ground almonds, ground almond cream filling or almond scent, so we have used almond essence in ours. This recipe is gluten free and so delicious, it makes a beautiful centrepiece for any morning or afternoon tea! Decorate as you like, we used strawberries and fresh flowers for a lovely Mother's Day theme. Do bake this cake for your friends and family, it really is a special treat!
- 230g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 large egg yolks
- 170g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 300g gluten free self-raising flour
- 250ml milk
- 1 tbsp almond essence (optional)
- 6 large egg whites
- 115g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 180g desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140° fan forced). Grease and flour a 22cm spring form cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, egg yolks and xylitol until thick and creamy. Gently fold in the flour and milk. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Cake Top: Using an electric beater, whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl, until soft peaks form. With the beaters still running, slowly add the xylitol, continuing to beat until the xylitol dissolves and stiff peaks form.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in the coconut. Spread the topping over the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean with a few crumbs.