Apple & Rhubarb Crumble
I love my Nanna's combination of apple and rhubarb, but add the twist of some ginger to this old favourite and you have a spicy dessert that will keep you warm from the inside on the last of the cool evenings.
- 4 medium red apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- zest and juice of 1 organic orange
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 75g butter
- 1/3 cup Perfect Sweet ® xylitol
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the apples, rhubarb, orange zest and juice into a large saucepan with the gingers and ½ cup water. Set pan over medium–high heat; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5–6 minutes, or until fruit is tender; leave to cool.
- Crumble: Place flour and almond meal into a bowl. Rub the butter into flour mixture until fine crumbs form; mix in the xylitol, hazelnuts and cinnamon.
- Spoon cooked fruit into a large baking dish, scatter with crumble and bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.