Butter or oil, to grease
200g Raw Dark Chocolate (recipe http://www.sweetlife.com.au/sugar-free-recipes/biscuit-slice/bitter-dark-chocolate/ ) or premium quality sugar free dark chocolate, chopped
150g unsalted butter, chopped
5 X-large eggs, separated
85g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
150g almond meal
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Brush a 20cm pan with butter or oil, to grease. Line base and sides with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Use an electric beater to beat the egg yolks and xylitol in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Gently fold in the chocolate mixture and almond meal.
- Thoroughly clean your electric beater, then whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Use a large metal spoon to fold half the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out with fudgy but set mixture. Be careful not to over bake as you want the cake to remain moist.
- Cool in pan. Then, before serving, cut shapes using a heart cookie cutter and decorate as your ‘heart’ desires.
Stored in an airtight container in the pantry, this beautiful cake stays moist and delicious for up to 5 days. So it’s great to make ahead of time, then cut into shapes and decorate.