With this delicious sugar free and gluten free shortbread recipe, you can substitute rice flour for red rice flour. I find that this has a more interesting flavour and colour.
Chinese chefs use red rice flour in their sweet dishes. It is available in health food stores and Chinese grocery stores. Make this recipe with your children using star shape cutters. A batch can make 2 lovely gifts wrapped in cellophane on a disposable plate for the schoolteachers or friends and relations for any occasion.
Star shortbread can be iced and sprinkled with chopped pistachios for a pretty festive edible gift. Box and tie with a ribbon for your friends and family this Christmas.
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
Makes 20 shortbread fingers
- 150 g rice flour
- 50g ground rice
- 50g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 150g butter
- Mix rice flour, ground rice and Perfect Sweet® xylitol in a mixing bowl.
- Add butter; knead into dry ingredients until mixture is combined into a smooth, stiff dough.
- Dust worktop with a little ground rice and roll out dough into an oblong 1 cm thick. Cut into 8 cm x 2 cm fingers or use any cookie cutter shapes.
- Place dough on a lined baking tray, prick well, and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes at 180℃.
A tasty treat for all ages, try our sugar free and gluten free shortbread recipe today and let us know what you think!
Copyright © 2014 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd