Our butterfly cupcakes are a deliciously sweet twist on the original cupcake. They’re fun, wonderfully yummy and perhaps most importantly, based on a sugar free and gluten free butterfly cupcakes recipe!
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
- 125g almond meal
- 75g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 1 X-large egg
- 2 X-large eggs, separated
- 50ml lemon juice, (approx. 1 ½ lemons)
- 40g arrowroot
- 60g butter, melted
- 125ml Lemon Curd (recipe on website)
- Powdered xylitol for dusting
- Preheat oven 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced. Line 16 x 30ml mini muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- Combine almond meal and xylitol in a bowl.
- Use an electric beater to beat egg, egg yolks and lemon juice in a large bowl until foamy.
- Thoroughly clean your electric beaters, then whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Use a large metal spoon to gently fold in half the arrowroot.
- Fold egg white mixture into lemon juice mixture.
- Add almond meal mixture, remaining arrowroot and butter and gently fold all together. Spoon into cupcake papers to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 150˚C/130˚C fan-forced and bake for a further 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, use a small sharp knife to cut a disk off each cupcake top. Cut disks in half to make “butterfly wings”.
- Spoon or pipe Lemon Curd onto each cupcake and arrange wings on top to resemble butterflies.
- Dust with powdered xylitol.
VARIATION: Replace Lemon Curd with berry jam and freshly whipped cream.
And there you have it – A superb sugar free and gluten free butterfly cupcakes recipe that’s just as tasty as its original sugar laden one. Give it a try today!
Copyright © 2014 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd