Carrot and Cranberry Cake
In Europe, the Carrot and Cranberry cake is traditionally made with hazelnut meal and it makes a lovely change. Grind your own hazelnuts or buy in bulk from a health food store. Hazelnuts also have a lower GI of 10, compared to Almonds' GI of 18.
- 500g (4 large) grated carrots
- 3 cups (300g) hazelnut meal (or almond meal)
- 3 X- large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) macadamia nut or olive oil
- ¼ cup (45-50g) Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 160℃.
- Combine carrot, hazelnut meal, eggs, oil, Perfect Sweet® xylitol, cranberries, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Mix well until combined.
- Pour into a prepared 20cm square baking tin.
- Bake for 1 ¼ hours or until cooked.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin then turn out.
- Serve alone or topped with low fat ricotta cheese topping.
Keep in the fridge for up to 6 days or freeze in individual servings in freezer bags for a quick snack.
- 250 g low fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup of Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together and spread evenly over cooled cake. Decorate as desired.
Simple to make AND incredibly tasty, try our sugar free and gluten free carrot and cranberry cake recipe today!
Copyright © 2014 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd