Dairy Free Hummingbird Cake
Hummingbird Cake is a banana and pineapple spiced cake, common in the southern United States. Our version is a delicious, no added sugar and dairy free recipe, frsoted with a decadent cashew frosting and pecans. Easy to bake and easier to eat. it keeps well and is great for your mid-morning or afternoon treat!
No Added Sugar and Dairy Free
- 50g chia seeds soaked in 2 tablespoons of water
- 150g medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 200g ripe bananas ( approx 2 large bananas)
- 200ml coconut oil
- 60g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g coconut, shredded
- 50g pecans, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 200g fresh pineapple, crushed
- 300g raw cashews, soaked for 3 hours in enough warm water to cover, rinsed and drained
- 20g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 60ml water
- 60ml coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
OPTIONAL TO DECORATE
- 50g pecans
- 2 teaspoons desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 20cm round spring form cake pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine chia seeds, dates, bananas, coconut oil and xylitol. Process until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, coconut, pecans and salt. Fold in the banana mixture to combine. Gently stir in the freshly crushed pineapple.
- Pour mixture into the cake pan and bake at 170°C for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- If using Pecans to decorate
- Rinse the pecans under cold water and scatter onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle the xylitol over the pecans and toss to mix. Roast in the oven 130°C for 10-15 minutes. Cool.
Blend all the ingredients until smooth and spread over the cooled Hummingbird Cake.
Sprinkle with desiccated coconut and top with roasted pecans.
Copyright © 2014 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd