Dairy Free Hummingbird Cake
Hummingbird cake is a banana and pineapple spiced cake, common in the Southern United States. Our version is a delicious sugar free and dairy free hummingbird cake recipe, frosted with a decadent cashew frosting and pecans. Easy to bake and easy to eat, it keeps well and is great for your mid morning or afternoon treat.
Sugar Free and Dairy Free
- 50g chia seeds soaked in 2 tablespoons of water
- 150g medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 200g ripe bananas ( approx 2 large bananas)
- 200ml coconut oil
- 60g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g coconut, shredded
- 50g pecans, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 200g fresh pineapple, crushed
- 300g raw cashews, soaked for 3 hours in enough warm water to cover, rinsed and drained
- 20g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 60ml water
- 60ml coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
OPTIONAL TO DECORATE
- 50g pecans
- 2 teaspoons Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 20cm round spring form cake pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine chia seeds, dates, bananas, coconut oil and xylitol. Process until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, coconut, pecans and salt. Fold in the banana mixture to combine. Gently stir in the freshly crushed pineapple.
- Pour mixture into the cake pan and bake at 170°C for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- If using Pecans to decorate
- Rinse the pecans under cold water and scatter onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle the xylitol over the pecans and toss to mix. Roast in the oven 130°C for 10-15 minutes. Cool.
Blend all the ingredients until smooth and spread over the cooled Hummingbird Cake.
Top with the roasted pecans.
Delicious, tasty and easy to make, you’ll love our sugar free and dairy free hummingbird cake recipe. Give it a try today!
Copyright © 2014 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd