This delicious sugar free hummingbird cake recipe uses Lime and Labne frosting. Labne is a Greek yogurt, which has been strained to remove whey, resulting in a relatively thick consistency. To prepare the Labne, drain natural yoghurt overnight in the fridge. See below for Lime and Labne frosting recipe.
- 250ml coconut oil
- 300g ripe bananas (approx 3 large bananas)
- 2 X-large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 150g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 350g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g pecans, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 300g fresh pineapple, crushed
- 250g Labne (natural Greek yoghurt drained overnight in the fridge) or 250g low fat cream cheese
- 15g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 20g coconut, shredded
- 50g pecans
- 2 teaspoons Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line 2 x 17cm round spring form cake pans with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, bananas, eggs, vanilla extract and xylitol. Process until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, pecans and salt. Fold in the banana mixture to combine. Gently stir in the freshly crushed pineapple.
- Divide mixture into the 2 cake pans. Bake at 170°C for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
If using Pecans to decorate
Rinse the pecans under cold water and scatter onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle the xylitol over the pecans and toss to mix. Roast in the oven 130°C for 10-15 minutes. Cool.
Lime and Labne Frosting
Drain the yoghurt overnight in the fridge. In a small bowl, add the yoghurt and stir in the xylitol and the lime zest. Spread the first cooled hummingbird cake with half of the frosting and sandwich together with the second cake. Spread the remaining frosting over the top of the second cake and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
Top with the roasted pecans.
To make Labne
Place yoghurt in a fine mesh sieve, over a bowl, cover with a tea towel and drain overnight in the fridge. Discard the water.
Try our delicious sugar free hummingbird cake recipe today and let us know what you think!
Copyright © 2015 SweetLife Australia Pty Ltd