The first time I served this strawberry jam made with Perfect Sweet® Xylitol at an afternoon tea with scones and cream, my guests ate the entire jar of jam! More jam went on their scones than I have ever seen before. I was thrilled that my first attempt at this sugar free and gluten free strawberry jam recipe was such a success and that they actually wanted to eat it straight from the jar. Why don’t you give it a try today?
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
Makes 1 litre (1kg)
- 2 lemons - 60 ml juice
- 1kg strawberries (hulled and quartered)
- 125ml water
- 500g Perfect Sweet® Xylitol
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons, retaining any seeds. You will need 60ml juice. Set juice aside. Wrap the seeds in a piece of muslin and tie with string.
- Place strawberries, lemon seeds and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and xylitol and stir over low heat until xylitol is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook uncovered for 25 minutes removing any surface scum with a slotted spoon, until jam reaches setting point. Remove the muslin bag of lemon seeds.
- Pour hot jam into hot sterilised jars and seal immediately. Turn jars upside-down and stand for 2 minutes to sterilise lids, then turn upright to complete cooling.
Can be stored in the pantry but once opened it must be refrigerated.
Setting Point Test
Drop a teaspoon of jam liquid onto a freezer-chilled saucer and return saucer to freezer for a few seconds until jam is at room temperature. Push the edge of the jam with a fingertip and if the surface wrinkles, the jam is ready. If not, keep cooking and retest on a clean chilled saucer in 5 minutes.
Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water, rinse well and place lids upside down on a wire rack to dry. Place jars on paper lined baking tray right side up. Place in cold oven and turn heat to 120˚C/100˚C fan-forced. Heat for 30 minutes.
You can also place clean jars and lids upside-down in a dishwasher and put through a hot wash-dry cycle without detergent. Use the jars hot from the dishwasher.
The pectin from the seeds helps the jam to set.
And there you have it – a simple sugar free and gluten free strawberry jam recipe that is also, absolutely delicious. Your guests will love it!