This is the most healthy and delicious tomato sauce you will ever taste. The sugar free and gluten free tomato sauce recipe is also free of any preservatives, colours and chemicals. It is the perfect accompaniment to all of your family barbeques.
Sugar Free and Gluten Free
- 2kg ripe tomatoes
- 180g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 250ml white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cut a shallow cross in the base of each tomato. Place tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Stand 2 minutes then drain. Peel skins from tomatoes. Dice tomatoes and place in a large heavy-based saucepan.
- Add xylitol, vinegar, garlic, salt, cloves, bay leaves and cayenne (optional). Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for about 4 hours or until mixture reaches a shiny pulp consistency.
- Push hot mixture quickly through a sieve into a large clean bowl or jug. Pour into hot sterilised bottles or jars. Seal immediately. Turn bottles or jars upside-down and stand for 2 minutes to sterilise lids. Then turn right way up to complete cooling.
Keep sauce refrigerated after opening and use within 6 weeks.
Cook on a very low heat and do not stir while it is cooking. Let the moisture cook out slowly. Use a simmer mat if you do not have electric hot plates so the heat will be distributed evenly. This will also prevent the sauce from burning.
Try our delicious sugar free and gluten free tomato sauce recipe today and let us know what you think!
Click to download a copy of this recipe